The following resources are from the British Red Cross. We had one of their presenters come to deliver the sessions.
This teaching resource is designed to help young people gain a better understanding of the humanitarian impact of the refugee crisis. Activities build learners’ empathy for the real people affected by the crisis and encourage young people to consider the difference a welcome could make to someone seeking asylum and refuge.
Helpful definition to build understanding of key words around refugee crisis.
The activities within this resource will enable participants to:
- Understand what might cause someone to flee their home, families and country to seek refuge elsewhere.
- Empathise with the experiences of refugees (exploring emotions, feelings and the practical impact of having to leave home, country and family).
- Explore the hazards they go through during their journey.
- Explore the barriers they face as they try to settle in the host country.
- Explore the contributions the refugees make to the host community.
- Explore the contribution art and culture as well as their wider contributions to society.
- Consider how you can help in practical ways if you were to encounter a refugee.